Friday, July 23, 2010

Nothing Falls Like London Rain

Sifting through photos often makes me a bit unsure about where to begin. The end of my trip brought me back to London for less than 24 hours before I caught my flight home. This means that there are the fewest amount of pictures -- in other words, the perfect place to start.

I'm not so good at remembering to take pictures when I travel. I enjoy wandering and letting my thoughts wander with me. I like not having an agenda, and seeing what I stumble upon. So imagine my delight when I stumbled a few blocks from my hostel to find this:



My point is, sometimes the pictures take themselves.

I'd seen Parliament & Big Ben before, but there's something wonderful about almost tripping over them. (And I have to say, tripping is something that I'm pretty good at.)




I chose the hostel (The Steam Engine) somewhat arbitrarily and at the last minute, and was bemused to find certain eccentricities about it. First of all, the hostel is not only above a pub, but it is part of it. As in, when you go to check in at reception, you check in with the bartender. I stayed in one of the shared rooms and, even after many years as a camp professional, I was surprised to learn that there were such things as triple-layer bunk beds:



(Bed #3, on the bottom, was my temporary cave. I was worried about the people above me moving around and keeping me awake, but the triple-layer-bunk-bed proved to be surprisingly sturdy and non-avalanche-inducing.)

On Thursday morning, before I had to leave for Heathrow, I decided to take a long, wandering walk.

I thought this sign was really funny:



Stumbled upon a guard -- I told you that good things come from wandering:



If you're worried about this being the only horse photo of the trip, don't lose any sleep. Stay tuned.

3 comments:

  1. Oooh, I am jealous of every picture here! How did you feel about your hostel? That third bunk is definitely not for the claustrophobic. The hostel I stayed at last time I was in London was equally eccentric (I slept on a mattress on the floor of the attic) but it was by Swiss Cottage - a little far out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry - that was me - foolishly signed in as a Hoofbeat account.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was actually surprised at how live-able the hostel was, considering the triple-bunk situation and the fact that it was above & part of a bar. I think I was lucky to get the bottom bunk, though -- crawling up two sets of ladders to get to your bed seems like a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete